Friday, May 30, 2014

What I Watched - May 19-25 2014

Note: I've decided to do weekly updates of all of the movies I watch. Any that don't get full reviews (either because they're not schlocky enough or because I don't deem a movie worth a full review) will have a short write-up of my overall feelings about that movie.

 WHAT I WATCHED - May 19-25:

  

 Manhunt for Claude Dallas (1986) VHS
- See full review here


 The Lego Movie (2014) AVI
- The latest father-son movie night offering, which we both enjoyed. My four-year-old son loves Lego and it was fast-paced enough to keep his attention, while I enjoyed all the in-jokes and clever little moments, which there are plenty of. Excellent family movie. 



 A Night in Old Mexico (2013) AVI
- Above-average drama about a grumpy old man (Robert Duvall) forced off his family land, who decides to head to Mexico for one last night of drunken debauchery, with his grandson along for the ride. Has elements of the crime, action and thriller genres, but in essence it's a story of estranged grandfather and grandson getting to know each other. It's just great to see Duvall in action again.



 Mad Mission 4 (1986) VHS
- See full review here



 Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter (2001) AVI
- Extremely low budget comedy offering that is actually very well done and, surprisingly, very funny in parts. I mean, who can resist a movie that pits Jesus Christ and Mexican wrestler El Santo (obviously not really him, just a guy in a Santo mask) against vampires? Worth watching just for the scene were JC and Santo kill vamps using whatever they can find as stakes (drum sticks, stool legs, even toothpicks!). This one's obscure, but hunt it out.
 

 Angel's Revenge (1979) Youtube
- See full review here



 Deadwood Season 1 (TV series, 2004) DVD
- I've been meaning to check this TV western series out for a while, having heard good things about it. I finished the 12-episode first season in the space of a few days, and I'm looking forward to moving on to Season 2. Brim full of great actors (Timothy Olyphant, Ian McShane, Brad Dourif, William Sanderson and more), this is a fictional telling of the real life lawless gold rush town of Deadwood, most famous as the place where Wild Bill Hickock was killed. It's an HBO series so it doesn't skimp on the violence and nudity.

No comments: