Sunday, January 11, 2009

Countdown to the 24-hour movie marathon

Tomorrow Jen and I are going to do something we've been talking about for a while now... we're going to attempt to watch movies continuously for 24 hours.

In the past we've done a couple of 12-hour marathons, which were admittedly quite difficult. I think the main reason for that was that we started at night and finished in the morning. The early morning hours are obviously the hardest to stay awake. That's why we'll be starting our 24-hour marathon tomorrow at 8am, finishing at 8am the next day. Looking ahead, it shouldn't be too much harder than the 12-hour marathons, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

One thing that I think will help is the fact that we've recently taken out the back row of theatre seats in our home cinema and replaced them with two business class airline seats. They're a lot more comfortable. When we did the 12-hour marathons, my back ached for days afterwards. Hopefully with a bit more comfort that won't be the case this time.

We've stocked up on essentials - numerous cans of energy drink and a pile of snacks. I've done some research on public 24-hour movie marathons, and found that they have breaks for meals. That's good - as I'm diabetic, skipping meals isn't an option - so we've scheduled breaks for lunch, dinner and breakfast over the 24 hours.

What movies will we be watching? I'm not going to reveal that just yet, but as a clue we've got quite a few new/recent releases, a couple of 80s flicks and a Japanese movie that promises to be a real mindfuck. The only ones we've seen before are the two 80s flicks, and that was many years ago.

I'll be blogging as we go, offering my thoughts on the different movies as we watch them. I can't promise the entries will make much sense, especially into the early hours of Tuesday morning.

No comments: