Monday, January 12, 2009

5.20pm - Futurama: The Beast With a Billion Backs

The Beast With a Billion Backs (2008)
Voices: Billy West, Katey Segal, John Di Maggio, Brittany Murphy
Genre: Animated comedy

Random observations:
- Dig the old school game references (pong; the 2D amusement ride; death ball; Pacman checkers).
- Hermes: "I'm feeling dread deep in my dreads". Awesome.
- Fry shitting bricks, literally. Funny.
- Jen's comment as the final credits begin to roll: "That was a big pile of poos".
- My ass is going to sleep.

Overall comments: This second feature-length Futurama movie is fairly entertaining and quite funny in parts. I've only watched the TV show in bits and pieces - it's never really appealled to me and this movie doesn't change that. In terms of animated comedy I rank Futurama at about the same level as King of the Hill - not bad, but well below the true genius of The Simpsons and Family Guy. Fans of Futurama probably love this movie. Casual viewers not so much. I still can't figure out how the same mind (Matt Groening) churned out something as legendary as The Simpsons and yet dropped the ball with Futurama. Even Seth McFarlane (Family Guy) did better with his follow up series (American Dad).

Up next: Dinner, then The Final Season

No comments: