Sunday, October 19, 2008

October 18 - Scarecrow [2002]


Scarecrow (2002)
Director: Emmanuel Itier
Starring: Tim Young, Todd Rex, Tiffany Shepis

It finally happened. Last night I fell asleep during a movie for the first time since I started this marathon 18 days ago. That was partly due to having been up since 4am that morning, and also partly due to this movie failing to keep my interest.

Now, I quite like a good killer scarecrow movie. I enjoyed 1988's Scarecrows. I found 1995's Night of the Scarecrow watchable. Here we get a cool Scarecrow boogieman (the costume itself is top notch), above-average production values, and from what I saw, some decent kills.

What lets Scarecrow down is the abysmal script. The plot is run-of-the-mill - nerdy guy gets picked on, is killed, his soul transfers to a scarecrow and that scarecrow gets revenge against everyone who wronged him. There's potential there for a watchable low-budget slasher, but unfortunately, director Emmanuel Itier doesn't do a great job of developing it. The writers have to take some blame too, because the dialogue is terrible.

The killer scarecrow spits out one-liners and jumps around like some kind of ninja. He ends up coming across as some kind of kung fu Freddy Krueger ripoff. And what's with the "teens" in the horror movies I've been watching lately? Part of this movie is set at a high school, and I swear the "teens" there are more likely to have a mid-life crisis than teen angst. Hell, the lead guy doesn't look close to high school age.

So, I missed the end of Scarecrow, but I don't think I missed much. 

No comments: